Creating an Asylum Letter

Hi everyone! 

I hope you are all doing well. I just wanted to take the time to jump on here and talk to you about an amazing opportunity I got a few days ago. 

I was approached by an amazing woman with a very sad story looking to have me help her create an asylum letter. 

An asylum letter is a document required along with other paperwork stating why you are claiming refugee status here in Canada. 

In order to write her letter, I essentially had to interview her to find out what her reasons were for staying.

My customer is originally from Africa, and due to her sexual orientation and a series of events related to it, was forced into hiding and fled her homeland. Her story has honestly moved me to tears and it while doing a bit of research for her letter learning about the anti-gay sentiment that is felt through former British colonies in Africa is heartbreaking and learning about the acts committed towards them is shocking. 

Listening to the acts committed by vigilante groups and the encouragement given by the government and media was gut-wrenching and made me extremely angry. 

During my research, I learned that in Ghana, where my client is originally from, engaging in homosexual acts is punishable by a three-year jail sentence, however, these vigilante groups have been known to go around and essentially beating to death anyone who is accused of being apart of the LGBT community.

Listening to my client's story, the only thing I could think of is how brave she is to have faced all of this and being able to escape that and come to Canada where she is now able to be herself. 

I truly thank her from the bottom of my heart for giving me the opportunity to help her tell her story.




0 comments